Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Studying as an IMG



One of the best things about my medical school is the mentorship programs that are offered either though the medical society or state medical society. It has been wonderful getting advice on literally ANYTHING from upper years and I am so appreciative that they were able to guide a lost lamb like me. In an effort to pay it forward, here is what I learned if you are an IMG trying to get back to America.

1. USMLE is king. This means disregard literally anything else because nothing else matters when you are trying to vye for a position back in the states. Yes, they will look at research and other extracurriculars but honestly, how could they judge on your preclinical grades when each school is different? This is the key to standardizing for them and as such, you should also be focusing on that. I think a lot of the times, medical students are wired to focus on their grades and are really disappointed when they do not achieve as they have in the past, but it is important to remember that trying to go back is a marathon, not a sprint.

2. Research is queen. As previously mentioned, the other thing that is really important is research. If you look at the outgoing research as well as the most prestigious medical journals, they are often from the states. This is not coincidental. It is important to understand that this is where medicine is heading and to stay ahead of the curve so try to reach out to faculties and get involved as soon as possible.

3. Make connections. It is soooo important to have connections so that you can take an elective back in the states in different hospitals as well as get recommendation letters. How do they know you can speak to patients in their own language or how would they know if you are a capable doctor if no one vouches for you? So make the effort to be friendly, but also yourself so that you aren't a fake beeech that no one wants to vouch for.

4. Make a schedule. For me, I know that my first preference is the states so I am making a loose schedule of my next four years based on certain goals and tests I have to take in order to go back. If you want to take an internship year and then go back that is also a really viable option and should be penciled into your schedule.

5. Don't worry. I know it seems impossible not to as we are all Type A robots, but it will all be okay. We are all smart, capable beings and regardless of where we are, we will succeed. I believe in all of you :)

So good luck and god speed!