Sunday, February 17, 2019

A Month In...

It is officially the start of the fourth week and I am just about a month in. I have been so busy sorting out my life and getting the hang of medical school that this is the first day I felt like I could breathe (not really, but the first day I feel like I could procrastinate a little bit). I wanted to breakdown the first three weeks to give everyone out there an idea of how medical school is (both good and bad), as well as give myself a little reminder when I look back somewhat fondly at this time.

Week 1:
Monday was a national holiday so we started orientation on Tuesday. It was just as expected, exciting but exhausting. Everyone was bushy-tailed and bright-eyed, ready to make some lifelong friends (although isn't it funny we have been saying the same thing for high school, undergraduate, and now grad school?) The standard greeting was name, undergraduate degree, where you're from, and sometimes where you live (since the city I live in is particularly large and a lot of students do commute). The orientation itself was actually pretty boring as it was mostly just about the structure of the courses, ensuring that we knew there would be mental health help if necessary, and professionalism lectures.

When Thursday hit, we began our classes and when I say that, I mean it! In anatomy practicals, we dove right into the prosections with little to no instructions. We had around three lectures and afterwards, no one was bushy-tailed and bright-eyed. We were exhausted.

Week 2:
After a not-so-chill weekend, I was not ready to start but life hits you like a ton of bricks anyways. We had straight lectures for five days, but on friday it was only a half-day because it was med camp! Med camp is exactly what you would expect of it. A bunch of nerdy, horny 20-something-years-old all drinking and hooking up in the woods. While I did partake in the drinking, I also realized it would not be great for me to spend my whole weekend there so I drove up with a few (now) friends.

Week 3:
Back to school. Fortunately, we start clinicals this week. In my medical program, clinicals go for all four years, allowing us to have exposure to patients before the third and fourth year. As I have clinicals on Wednesday, my Mondays are independent learning days, which basically are just excuses for me to not do work on the weekend.

On a large side note, clinicals was absolutely amazing. That experience in the wards (I did the cardiothoracic and respiratory wards) really reaffirmed my belief that I do belong in this program and I am worthy of continuing on. All throughout the first two weeks, I began doubting my own skills and comparing myself to my cohort. Yes, my cohort has some beautiful, amazing, and incredibly intelligent folks, but I constantly need to remind myself that I am here for a reason and I have done my work to get here. I can not discount myself. By being a part of such an intense program, there is always room to doubt and worry so I want to remind myself to keep some positivity and perspective (which I think the clinical really did help).

Now, I am onto week 4, so wish me luck and hopefully I will finally get a hang of things!