Monday, January 21, 2019

Stop and Go

I have officially been in Sydney for 6 days and a lot has already happened. I got over my jetlag (three days in?) I got my Australian number. I looked at over 25+ apartments and approximately 1000+ people swarming to also get the same apartments as me. I found (and signed) for an apartment! I got verified from (some) of my vaccinations. I got my blood drawn for serology exams for the other ones. I finally stepped foot on campus! I ate a lot of yummy vegetarian foods. I walked... a lot. 

The next three days are going to be even more intense. I am going to get my furniture and appliances. I am going to finally be able to open my bank account (they needed a permanent address). I am going to get gas, electricity, and internet. I am officially moving in. My partner, B, is finally going to be here and end our 7 months of long distance after 3 months of dating. Our parents are going to meet.

And then soon after... orientation.

In the hustle and bustle of things, I think it is also important to recognize what has been happening and how much I have accomplished. But even more importantly, I have taken some time to sit down and grab coffee with my parents. It is important to recognize that despite this being a postgraduate program, they are losing their daughter once again. I will be in another country, another time zone. It is important to thank them for all that they have done for me, whether it is emotional or financial. They have always given me the support I needed to get where I am and for that, I will always be thankful. It is tough to really stand in their shoes and understand the sacrifices they have made for me, but I hope they know how much it means to me and that I would not be where I am without them.

So, if they every do find this journal, thank you.